Instagram @chloeanneleighton

Thursday 18 October 2012

Swedish Fish Cakes

As the cold, grey and wet weather sets in I always have a huge urge to gorge myself on starchy, heavy foods, it's like my subconscious wants to feed me up for winter hibernation! After a rather unhealthy week of jacket potatoes, cookies and wayyyy too much chocolate I thought I ought to make something a bit fresher! These Swedish-style fish cakes are made with breadcrumbs  not potatoes  so are a lot lighter and flakier, and really healthy!

Serve with some sweet potato mash and salad...the perfect light lunch, or if you make them bigger like me, then a great healthy dinner!


To make them you will need:

A couple of slices of crusty or stale-ish bread
A can of tuna
A smoked haddock fillet
Fresh parsley
Lemon juice



First break down the bread into crumbs but rubbing it between your thumb and forefingers. Place the breadcrumbs on a sheet of foil.



Next add the tuna to a bowl and flake in the haddock and add a good swig of lemon juice.


Add the parsley leaves, and season to taste.



Add a handful of breadcrumbs then mould into patties. I made mine pretty big because I'm greedy...


Next press the patties down onto the breadcumb sheet, both sides so they're covered fully.



Heat some oil in a pan, then when it's sizzling place the cakes into the pan and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through. Serve on a bed of salad and with some sweet chilli dip on the side.