Instagram @chloeanneleighton

Monday 23 June 2014

Moqueca De Camaroes

So World Cup fever has hit and to be honest, now England are out I'm less than engaged. My other half, however, is completely World Cup mad so I have been forced to sit through an inordinate number of matches.

In order to try and re-engage myself with the tournament I decided to try and cook a national dish for each 8pm match we watch.

Tonight, it's Brazil, so I rustled up my version of a traditional Brazilian prawn stew: Moqueca De Camaroes.



The zingy, spicy, but fresh flavours of this dish are a perfect summer alternative to a curry.

To make yours you will need:

 - fresh prawns
 - 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- fresh red chilli (I used half a spicy one, and it gave it quite a kick)
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 200ml coconut milk
- tin of chopped tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes if you want it a bit dryer)
- veggies (I used mangetout, yellow pepper and courgette as they all cook quickly and I was hungry)
- fresh coriander
- dash of cinnamon powder
- fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper


1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan and cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and chilli.
2. Add the prawns to the pan and simmer gently until the shrimp turns opaque.
3.  Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, then add the tomatoes and the coconut milk.
4. Add the veggies, the cinnamon, lime juice, coriander and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer until the veg is soft.
5. Serve with rice, bread or flour tortilla wraps, depending on how hungry you are. I added sour cream to reduce the heat of the chilli, and served with fresh coriander.




Enjoy!