Instagram @chloeanneleighton

Saturday 20 June 2015

Duck & Waffle At Last

As much as I hate to admit just how long it has taken me to get my butt up the tower to this place, a brunch visit to this place couldn't go by without a mention.


In fact, it doesn't take much introduction as these views are pretty famous now...even if you haven't seen them for yourself.


After an agonising 6 (yes 6!!!) week wait for a table we finally whizzed up in the glass lift to the culinary delights that awaited us.



It was Claire's birthday which called for celebration and could only mean one thing: cocktails were on the cards! The girls braved a red pepper flavoured concoction which did taste just like red pepper and was remarkably refreshing. We started by congratulating ourselves on finally making it to Duck and Waffle and got down to the serious business of ordering.


I knew I would be going for their signature Duck and Waffle dish but had not given much thought to what I would do if anything else caught my eye. Not willing to wait another 2 months for my next try of the menu I managed to persuade Georgie to share with me....we went for the duck egg en cocotte, with mushrooms, gruyere and truffle. It was divine!!!!



To  be honest I had higher hopes for the iconic dish as so many people before have raved about it. For me it was a bit dry and not as flavourful as my other dish...so I am pleased I got to sample both.

Others plumped for egg congee, which was good by all accounts but rather overloaded with spring onions.




As the sun brightened up the rooftops below us and coffees were served it was about time for presents!




We told the restaurant it was Claire's birthday and they said they'd sort out a treat to give her. I did think it a bit stingy when was was presented was a couple of nuts and a jellied sweet with a candle in it, on a giant plate with happy birthday written in chocolate sauce. Particularly as they had told us we couldn't bring in our own cake unless we wanted to pay £7.50 per slice (!).

I really enjoyed the meal I had been building up in my mind for so long, but I do think while the food pricing is very reasonable, the drinks pricing and the service is quite off what I would expect. Part of me feels like they are baking on the fact that people will always come for the view...and they let the rest of the experience slip. That said...I would definitely come back for those eggs en cocotte!