Instagram @chloeanneleighton

Saturday 25 January 2014

Winter Sweet Potato Salad

So it's been a while, and a lot has gone on since my last post! I hopped over to Australia for three weeks over Christmas and New Year which was truly incredible - but there's so much to say about my trip I need to work my way up to a post about it! The biggest thing that stuck with me from Oz was the amazing food; everything was so fresh and bright, it really inspired me.

Now I'm back in rainy England and it's been blowing a gale and raining all day outside my window calling for this delicious winter salad to bring a bit of colour back into my life!


I prefer to serve this slightly warm, with a cold glass of Verdelho to cut through the soft ingredients. To make yours (serves one) you will need:

1 sweet potato
1/2 an avocado
1 tomato
1/2 a large pear
1 spring onion
a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach
Feta cheese
1 handful of pine nuts

Peel and chop the sweet potato, then dress in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven for half an hour or until soft. While it's in the oven chop all the other ingredients.

When the sweet potato is done, take it out of the oven and leave it to cool slightly. Pop the pine nuts on a baking tray and pop in the oven to roast (until just golden) while you chuck all the ingredients into the roasting dish with the potato and mix, dress with white wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. Top with the roasted pine nuts and serve!

I had this for dinner on it's own, but you could serve it as a side salad with a steak or roasted chicken breast for something more substantial.

Enjoy!